Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Reflection On My Calling

It was a mild evening on December 22nd 1981 when at the age of 12 years old I was called by God to preach His gospel; specifically separated by Him to go to the nations of the earth. It was a very emotional moment that with the experiences of life, the cinicism built by the many things I have seen at the church, and the years passing by, became something abstract to my memory. Since that evening, I have been involved in ministry as a Radio Evangelist, a Youth Pastor, Associate Pastor, Missionary Evangelist for South America, a Church Movilizer, and a Church Planter. Also, a lot of preparation has been part of me for the last 27 years of my life. Beginning at the Assemblies of Christian Churches Bible Institute, the Asbury Theological Seminary Latino Latina Studies Program, the Latino American Faculty of Theological Studies (Universidad FLET), and returning to Asbury Theological Seminary for a Master Degree in Theological Studies.

During those years I was invited by at least four denominations to join their ordination process, but I was reluctant to do so. After all, I was called by God and His calling was an ordination and that for me was more than enough. As a person with a tendency to swim against the current, never paid attention to denominational ordination processess since at the moment my opinion was that ordination process was politicized in some places, to the point people that has not business being ordained were getting behind a pulpits. Furthermore, other individuals gave more importance to the ordination process itself than the calling given by God. Consequently, I declined to participate in any ordination process.

Then, something happened. The ministry God has placed in my hands begun to grow. New opportunities of ministry were opened to a unimaginable level in my life. Moreover God spoke to me and confirmed this word through other individuals about this ministry moving up to a higher level. Thus, after all of that I though about getting ordained, but I was not totally convinced. The final push that convinced me totally about getting ordained happened about three years ago. I was listening a conversation between Dr. Thomas Buchan and a friend of mine about ordination and the biblical, spiritual, and ministerial implications of being not just called by God, but also confirmed by the church. In his words, the ordination service is the equivalent of a marriage ceremony and as in marriage, which means that once I get ordained by the church I am bound by a covenant for the rest of my life to the service of the Kingdom. In other words, I am married with God and His church.

As I was in that altar last Friday night, memories from the last 27 years of my life and ministry came to my mind as a movie. In all of those years God fulfilled His part of the covenant. I was called, equipped, and sent to the nations of the earth, and finally, that evening I was fulfilling my part of the bargain through a covenant of service to Him and His church for the rest of my days on earth. As I look to the 150 pictures I have so far, taken by friends and supporters, I feel in my spirit that the best days of my ministry are ahead and I am going to continue proclaiming His word to the ends of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment